"Color is my day-long obsession, joy and torment."
- Claude Monet

Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Giant Tree/Fall Leaves and Butterflies

I'm at one of my schools (CM) for only half a day, which accounts to 3 classes (an Autism class, Pre-k and Kindergarten class).  Today, they finished the big tree for their school. 




I like the way it turned out- really colorful and fun.  My other schools will have a bigger variety of materials used on their leaves.  I let the kids put the leaves wherever they wanted, after we talked about why the leaves are on the branches, on the ground, etc. 

My class for students with special needs (Autism) has 4 students who are all very sweet, but have very limited motor skills.  I am often challenged to find things that are appropriate for them.  I had them create leaves as well, and they also made printed paper to make butterflies for the trees.  Half of the class was out when we made the printed paper, but everyone was here today to add the tissue paper.  They had to scrunch up the paper (to work on motor skills) and place it on the gluey paper.  I am usually not a big fan of having pre-cut shapes and papers, but for their skill level it is what works best.  They can create some beautiful things with a bit of help.

No comments:

Post a Comment